Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

How I did Christmas on a budget

Well this year has been tough.  Hubby lost his job in July and we have been scraping together the mortgage each month, and paring down our food budget its been really hard but we have managed it on my paltry wage and a few odd jobs here and there.  Good news is that hubby started a new job 1/12, but finding the mortgage let alone Christmas is nigh on impossible  So with after some hard negotiation with our mortgage providers, we have managed to resolve this and haven't lost our house..... phew!!!
This brings me to Christmas, and you wonder how I have kept my sanity and my cheery disposition!! LOL!
Well I had a word with the family and explained things and said this year is all about homemade gifts, mainly crochet.  The kids, bless them were a little disappointed but understood that we couldn't afford lots of pressies this year but they would be getting something.  However so far I have spent, £64.00 and have made and purchased, 1 pair of socks, 2 scarfs, 1 baby blanket, 2 elephants, 2 pairs of handwarmers,a months skysports subscription, 1 necklace and a bottle cover, 1 Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, 1 HollyOaks Hunks, an Arsenal Calendar and a bottle of Wolf Blaus white wine.  How I managed this? I hear you ask, well all the yarn was in my stash, I only bought some beads for decoration the bottle of my mothers favourite wine and XBox360 game reduced and using my daughters discount card too, the two calendars and the subscription of course.  I do still have a rag doll, some handwarmers and some felt decorations to complete but I can't tell you how happy I feel.  Buy having literally no money, it has taught me that with a little imagination Christmas doesn't have to be so expensive.  Kirsty Allsops Homemade Christmas Home is also a great watch for inspiration and ideas.
As for decorations well I have a store of them in my loft, including a very bushy artificial tree.  I do love the smell of a real tree, but the eco warrior in me doesn't agree with it, plus my dog would probably cock its leg up the tree anyway and get pine needles in its paws which would leave me with a very expensive vets bill. 
But my greatest gift this Christmas has been......'cheesy'.......learning that money can buy a lot, but not personal and unique gifts that have been made and thought about with love!

4 comments:

  1. Hi..wow congratulations you the real meaning of Christmas....Kirsties Homemade Christmas was on again yesterday the bit l missed too been a great series....
    Reading your story may l send YOU a pressie from one crafter to another
    PM me your address l would love to send you a small present for Christmas it might get there before if l post on Monday
    Pleased to hear hubby found a job..not goo at the moment for so many...one of the lucky ones to find a job
    Big Hugs Suz x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you and I totally agree with you, I have also made (knitted) gifts for my hubby & duaghter as well as my 5 closest 'Knitsisters'. I am quite sure that almost everyone enjoys homemade even more than bought.
    Have fabulastic Christmas and good luck to hubby and his new job.
    Hugs and xx Heike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Backatch, Thanks for you good will and I hope you have a wonderful, restful Christmas.
    Nicky xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'm a bit late reading your post but I must agree... Christmas is so much more enjoyable when you have to be more creative with little money... I've always made Christmas presents & get a lot of enjoyment out of it all as do the folks I share my handmade gifts with... they are always remembered & spoken about... All the best for the coming year... OOroo... B

    ReplyDelete